Education institution gallery. Located: Australia (VIC).
Ewing Gallery; Ewing and George Paton Gallery; George Paton Gallery; Ewing Gallery, Rowen White Library.
The Ewing Gallery was established at Melbourne University in 1938 to house the collection of Australian paintings gifted by Samuel Arthur Ewing. After 1971 under the directorship of Kiffy Rubbo contemporary exhibitions were mounted. In 1974 the gallery was expanded and became the Ewing and George Paton Gallery. The gallery was closed in 1990 and reopened in 1994 as the George Paton Gallery, the Ewing Gallery being incorporated into the Rowden White Library.
Country of context