16 September 1982
Located: Australia (VIC). Lithographs
John Robinson; George Baldess; Les Kossatz
In 1976 John Robinson, met with George Baldessin in Paris, and they discussed the ‘possibility of [establishing]a workshop for our own use and to provide other artists with facilities … It was also to provide a collaborative work environment which promoted standards of excellence, being reminiscent of the renowned workshops of Europe and America.’ Robinson and Baldessin were joined by their friend, the artist Les Kossatz, in financing the venture.
In 1977 Druckma Press (named after the brand name of the lithographic press that Baldessin had found and the three had purchased) was established in West Melbourne. Neil Leveson became the principal workshop assistant. Druckma printed works by its owners as well as editioning for other artists. After Baldessin’s death in 1978 Robinson and Kossatz continued to run Druckma Press but it eventually became a burden for Kossatz who recalled that artists ‘came from everywhere to use it and so it became a commercial enterprise and not what it was set up for’. The partnership was dissolved in 1982.
Roger Butler, Printed images by Australian artists 1942-2020, Canberra: NGA, 2021]